Ernest Bulte and August Bulte built the business in 1912 in Queen Street South and Tatyoon Road upon moving the business to where it is now Queen Street Ararat. Ernest married Georgina who took over the business for a period of 3 years after Ernest's death.
Mark Bulte bought the business from his mother Georgina in 1949. He was a builder in Ararat. The building and carpentry ceased in 1964 and kept the timber merchant side. Mark ran the timber yard until his retirement in 1973, when he handed over the business to his daughter Beverley and her husband Kingsley Walker.
Beverley and Kingsley were partners in the business until Kingsley's retirement in 2000. Their son Peter, who is the fourth generation and his wife, Karen took over the business in 2000 and are still current owners.